If an item you are seeking is not owned by the Oakland Public Library or available through LINK+, you may request it through our interlibrary loan (ILL) service at any of our libraries by emailing email@example.com. Oakland Public Library ILL handles requests for materials from UC campus libraries, libraries throughout California, the United States, and Canada.
Your email should include the following:
- Book title or article title
- ISBN, if available
- Date range for microfilm
- Your name
- Your email and phone number
Please note the following:
- Separate emails should be completed for each individual request for each book title, periodical article to be photocopied, or each separate date range for microfilm (for example, January-June 1945)
- ILL does not accept requests for books published in the current two years, or for materials already held by the Oakland Public Library, including reference materials. ILL, in addition, does not accept requests for materials that are available through LINK+. No requests are accepted for audiovisual materials (DVDs, CDs, audiobooks).
- ILL accepts a maximum of three (3) requests per patron within a one month period.
- You will be notified by email or by telephone when your item is ready for pickup. Please make sure your library card contact information is current to receive notification in a timely manner. Note that all ILL items are initially sent to the Main Library, so allow for an additional day or two if you have requested your materials be sent to one of our branch libraries.
- ILL materials may only be renewed through the ILL office, and not through OPL's online or in-person circulation services. We can make only one renewal request to the owning/lending library for a two week period. Please be aware that all renewals will be at the discretion of owning/lending libraries. As a courtesy, please request renewals no less than three (3) days before the materials are due. Staff or patrons may call or email the ILL office to request renewals (firstname.lastname@example.org / 510-238-6867). Renewals made by non-ILL staff will not be honored and any fees that have since accrued will be reinstated.
- ILL materials must be returned by the date due with their yellow bands and blue barcode cards intact. Returning ILL materials late or damaged may result in restriction or suspension of ILL privileges.
- Please note that the Oakland Public Library is a free lending library, and so in turn we will always try to obtain ILL materials at no cost. However, not all materials are available for free. If there is a cost associated with the loan, we always check with you before accepting any charges.
- There is a standard minimum charge of $115 for a lost item.