Oakland Public Library is here to support the educational, informational, and recreational needs of all.
To learn more about how we are serving educators and students during COVID-19, please see below.
Virtual Class Visits for Elementary, Middle, and High School Students
If you would like to schedule a virtual visit for a class, please fill out this form.
Library Cards for Students
We are happy to work with you to ensure that all students have a working Oakland Public Library card that can be used for virtual resources and to place holds on materials for sidewalk pick-up. Please fill out this form or see more specific details on the Welcome Teachers pages listed below.
Teacher Library Card
The Oakland Public Library is pleased to offer Teacher Library Cards to support local educators in providing educational materials to their students.
For Educators of Children and Teens
Resources for Educators and Students of all Ages
We also offer a wide range of ebooks and eaudiobooks; details are here.
We know that during this time, when we can't invite classes into our physical spaces, our digital content becomes even more vital. We have a large variety of content and resources available on our website. Here are some specific resources that might support students and teachers. Please explore more, though, as this list is not exhaustive.
- eBooks and other eMedia - includes magazines, music, movies and more
- Tutor.com - free live online tutoring, homework help, and test preparation as well as job searching support, such as help writing a cover letter, applying for a job online, and resume writing. Spanish-speaking support is available for math, science, and social studies subjects.
- How-to Videos - video tutorials on how to use some of our online resources, how to place holds on books and more
- BookMe - get personalized reading recommendations from a librarian, for all ages and types of books
- Great Reads for Kids - suggested reading for kids
- Children's Services Blog - more suggested reading and other resources for kids, educators, and caregivers
- Read, Write, Listen for Teens - suggested reading for teens
- Other Blog Content - includes booklists for teens and other interesting content for all ages
- Pronunciator - a language learning tool that offers 22 months of content, beginner, intermediate, and advanced, for 80 languages and ESL instruction tailored to native speakers of 50 non-English languages
Bring the Public Library to Your Event or Class of Adult Learners
We can also conduct book talks, demonstrate our various ebook offerings, and conduct online database training for your groups and classes. Invite us to special events and staff meetings to learn about library services. To discuss a virtual visit, please contact email@example.com.