Oakland Public Library's Main Library has a Veterans Resource Center in the lobby. You can find books and information for veterans and their families about benefits for education, health, employment, housing, and more. Trained staff and volunteers are also available to help during scheduled hours. Our Veterans Center was started through Veterans Connect @ the Library.
Download the Veterans Resource Center schedule (PDF)
- Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents and Survivors, 2019 Online Edition
- CalVet California Veterans Resource Book
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs - This is the main source of online information for veterans and their families and contains information to help link veterans and their families to federal, state and local resources. Information on healthcare, vocational rehabilitation and employment, burial services for veterans and their families are among its many resources.
- CalVet - This organization helps California Veterans and their families access the federal benefits they have earned through service.
- Operation Dignity provides shelters and transitional housing for veterans and their families.
- Roads Home offers Peer Outreach, Wraparound case management, Homelessness prevention, temporary rental assistance, rapid re-housing, Employment services, and transitional housing (Berkeley only).
- Swords to Plowshares provides health and social services, financial support, housing, legal services, employment and advocacy for veterans and their families.
- The Veterans Community Media Network holds regular town halls for veterans at the West Oakland Branch.
- COVID-19 Veterans Resource Guide 2020: COVID-19 information and resources specifically for veterans.
- California Veterans Crisis Line: Veterans can call or send a text message or click to Chat on line.
- US VA Veterans Crisis Line: Veterans can call or send a text message or click to Chat on line and can take a self-check quick.
- California State Programs for Veterans
- VA Career and Employment Resources
- Federal Employment
More about Veterans Connect @ the Library
In partnership with the California Department of Veterans Affairs (CalVet), your public library is pleased to help veterans and their families. The special focus of this project is to provide information to reintegrate California veterans into the California workforce and our communities in order to provide veterans the quality of life of other Americans.
The goals for this project are to:
- Provide veteran benefits and local service information to veterans and family members, and links to other organizations serving veterans especially local County Veteran Service Offices, CalVet and the Federal VA.
- Increase California veteran benefit claims.
- Connect veterans and their families to library resources.