Any California resident can get an Oakland Public Library card. Library cards are free and are available at all our locations. You must pick up your card in person (unless you are eligible for Extended Services).
You can apply in person or complete an online application.
Visit your nearest library to pick up your card. To apply in person, you can print out an application form below, complete it at home and bring it to your nearest library.
If you are over 17 years old, you must also bring in two pieces of identification: a photo ID and verification of your current address.
A child's application (for age 12 and under) needs the signature of a parent or guardian. If you are between 13 and 17 years old, you can either apply with a parent or guardian's signature or by bringing in one piece of acceptable identification.
You must have your own library card with you to check out library materials. You are responsible for all items checked out to you.
New patrons will be allowed to check out two items. When these two items are returned, as long as there is less than $5.00 in fines on their record at this time, a patron will be able to check out up to 40 items. At that point the fine limit goes up to $12.50 and a patron can continue to check out up to 40 items as long as their fines remain at $12.50 or less.
Has your card expired? Every two years you will need to renew your library card by providing current contact information. You can renew your card in person or by phone at any Oakland Public Library location.
Library Card Applications
Downloadable Applications for Adults and Teens
- Adult Library Card Application (English)
- Adult Library Card Application (Spanish)
- Adult Library Card Application (Chinese)
- Adult Library Card Application (Vietnamese)
- Teen Library Card Application (English)
- Teen Library Card Application (Spanish)
- Teen Library Card Application (Chinese)
- Teen Library Card Application (Vietnamese)
Downloadable Applications for Children (ages 5-12)
- Child (ages 5-12) Library Card Application (English)
- Child (ages 5-12) Library Card Application (Spanish)
- Child (ages 5-12) Library Card Application (Chinese)
- Child (ages 5-12) Library Card Application (Vietnamese)
Replacing Lost Library Cards
If your card is lost or stolen, or if you change your name or address, notify the library immediately. There is a $2.00 fee for replacing lost cards.