Help develop and prioritize the job criteria for the next Library Director. Please visit this link to access the survey and provide your input by the close of business on June 22, 2018. Your thoughts and responses will help develop and prioritize the job criteria for our next Library Director, as well as assist in identifying appropriate candidates as the search is being conducted.
InterLibrary Loan Service
If an item you are seeking is not owned by the Oakland Public Library or available through LINK+, you may request it through our interlibrary loan (ILL) service at any of our libraries by requesting an ILL Request Card from a librarian. Oakland Public Library ILL handles requests for materials from UC campus libraries, libraries throughout California, the United States, and Canada.
Here are our basic ILL policies and procedures:
- There is a non-refundable/non-transferable $2.00 ILL request fee payable at the time of the request. The $2 fee is for the initiation of the ILL request and is not dependent on whether the material is ultimately obtained or not. Separate request cards should be completed for each individual request for each book title, periodical article to be photocopied, or each separate date range for microfilm (for example, January-June 1945)
- ILL does not accept requests for books published in the current year, or for materials already held by the Oakland Public Library, including reference materials. ILL, in addition, does not accept requests for materials that are available through LINK+. No requests are accepted for audiovisual materials (DVDs, CDs, audiobooks).
- ILL accepts a maximum of five (5) requests per patron within a one month period.
- You will be notified by email or by telephone when your item is ready for pickup. Please make sure your library card contact information (US mail address and email address) is current, so you will receive notification in a timely manner. Note that all ILL items are initially sent to the Main Library, so please allow an additional day or two if you have requested your materials be sent to one of our branch libraries.
- ILL materials may only be renewed through the ILL office, not through OPL's online or in person circulation. We can make only one renewal request to the owning/lending library for a two week period. Please be aware that all renewals will be at the discretion of owning/lending libraries. As a courtesy, please request renewals no less than three (3) days before the materials are due. Staff or patrons may call or email the ILL office to request renewals (firstname.lastname@example.org / 510-238-6867). Renewals made by non-ILL staff will not be honored and any fees that have since accrued will be reinstated.
- ILL materials must be returned by the date due with their yellow bands and blue barcode cards intact. Returning ILL materials late or damaged may result in restriction or suspension of ILL privileges.
- Please note that the Oakland Public Library is a free lending library, and so in turn we will always try to obtain ILL materials at no cost to our patrons. However, not all materials are available for free. If there is a cost associated with the loan, we always check with our patrons before accepting any charges.
- Also, with each circulating book, the patron receives a lost book slip stating that there is a standard minimum charge of $115 for a lost item.
If you have additional questions about interlibrary loan services, please call (510) 238-6867.