Starting on February 18, all library communications, including hold notices, courtesy notices and bills, will be sent in emails. Please keep your email address updated with us in order to receive messages from the library promptly.
Welcome Middle and High School Teachers (grades 6-12)
Oakland Public Library is here to support the educational, informational, and recreational needs of your students. Our Teen Librarians conduct school visits and invite classes to the library throughout the year. Our branches offer print and multimedia materials, including popular young adult titles, public computers, numerous online databases, and a wide variety of other resources. With advance notice we can also secure additional copies of books you plan to assign. Here are a few ways we can support you:
- Is your class or school reading the same book? Let us know 2-3 months in advance, so we can order extra copies for the library!
Community Resources & Reading Lists
Call to request a print copy of our biannual Teen Reading List, a monthly Calendar of Events, flyers and our popular Resource Guides covering teen jobs, volunteering, counseling, homework help, sexuality, SAT/ACT prep, scholarships, and more. Or contact us in advance about special bibliographies you may need. Many reading lists and resources are also online.
Bring the Public Library to Your School
We can conduct book talks and online database training for your class(es). We are also happy to visit teachers' meetings to discuss how we can work together. Invite us to special events and parents' meetings to talk about teen library service. To discuss an onsite visit contact Teen Outreach Librarian Amy Sonnie at 238-7233.
Class Visits to the Library
Teen Librarians can provide special programs and services when you arrange a visit in advance. Let us know if you would like a library orientation, book talk, online database training, or research assistance on specific topics. Schedule your visit at least two weeks in advance by calling one of these Teen Librarians:
- 81st Avenue Branch Library: Susan Maldonado (615-5812)
- Asian Branch Library: Jeanie Austin (238-3400)
- Cesar Chávez Library: Susy Moorhead (535-5620)
- Rockridge Branch Library: Vicky Chen (597-5017)
- TeenZone/Main Library: Brian Boies (238-7232)
- Eastmont Branch Library: Janine Mogannam (615-5726)
All other branches - contact the branch manager at that site.
Help Us Prepare for Your Visit
- Get a library card yourself - free - for all California residents!
- For your class, drop off completed library card applications at least one week in advance of your visit. Download a library application from our website www.oaklandlibrary.org/using-library/library-cards. Applications are available in English, Spanish, Vietnamese and Chinese. A parent signature is not required if the student has other identification. A teacher’s class roster may count as student I.D. Students must be able to provide their address, telephone number and birth date. Lost cards do not require a new application.
- Encourage students to return any overdue library materials so they can check out new ones. Most materials can be checked out for three weeks and renewed for an additional three weeks - by telephone, online or in person.
- If you need to cancel, please notify us as soon as possible.