Labor Day and Admission Day holiday closures: All library locations will be closed on Monday, September 7 and Wednesday, September 9. The Main Library and the Brookfield and Eastmont branches will be open on Tuesday, September 8; all other locations will be closed that day.
Welcome Middle and High School Teachers (grades 6-12)
Oakland Public Library is here to support the educational, informational, and recreational needs of your students. Our Teen Librarians conduct school visits and invite classes to the library throughout the year. Our branches offer print and multimedia materials, including popular young adult titles, public computers, numerous online databases, and a wide variety of other resources. With advance notice we can also secure additional copies of books you plan to assign. Here are a few ways we can support you:
- Is your class or school reading the same book? Let us know 2-3 months in advance, so we can order extra copies for the library!
Community Resources & Reading Lists
Call to request a print copy of our biannual Teen Reading List, a monthly Calendar of Events, flyers and our popular Resource Guides covering teen jobs, volunteering, counseling, homework help, sexuality, SAT/ACT prep, scholarships, and more. Or contact us in advance about special bibliographies you may need. Many reading lists and resources are also online.
Bring the Public Library to Your School
We can conduct book talks and online database training for your class(es). We are also happy to visit teachers' meetings to discuss how we can work together. Invite us to special events and parents' meetings to talk about teen library service. To discuss an onsite visit, please contact Lana Adlawan, Teen Services Coordinator, at 238-7613.
Class Visits to the Library
All of our branches have resources and materials available for teens. Teen Librarians can arrange special programs and services when you arrange a visit in advance. We also have six dedicated Teen Zones that prioritize young adult collections:
- 81st Avenue Branch Library: 615-5812
- Asian Branch Library: 238-3400
- Cesar Chávez Library: 535-5620
- Rockridge Branch Library: 597-5017
- TeenZone/Main Library: 238-7332
- Eastmont Branch Library: 615-5726
For all other branches, please visit: http://www.oaklandlibrary.org/using-library/locations-hours
Help Us Prepare for Your Visit
- Get a library card yourself - free - for all California residents!
- For your class, drop off completed library card applications at least one week in advance of your visit. Download a library application from our website www.oaklandlibrary.org/using-library/library-cards. Applications are available in English, Spanish, Vietnamese and Chinese. A parent signature is not required if the student has other identification. A teacher’s class roster may count as student I.D. Students must be able to provide their address, telephone number and birth date. Lost cards do not require a new application.
- Encourage students to return any overdue library materials so they can check out new ones. Most materials can be checked out for three weeks and renewed for an additional three weeks - by telephone, online or in person.
- If you need to cancel, please notify us as soon as possible.