The library will be closed on Friday, February 12th, for Lincoln's Birthday. All locations will be closed on Monday, February 15th for President's Day. All locations except Main, Brookfield and Eastmont will be closed on Tuesday, February 16th, for President's Day. Thank you.
Extended Services for Patrons with Disabilities
California’s Library Services for People with Print Disabilities, in association with the Library of Congress, provides free Braille and audio books, magazines and playback equipment to all eligible Californians unable to read standard print. Follow the link to find your local braille and talking book library and sign up for free library service.
Oakland Public Library offers Extended Services to persons with disabilities.
Under the guidelines of the ADA, or Americans with Disabilities Act, disability means, with respect to an individual, a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more life activities of that individual.
If you are a person with a disability, fill out an application for Extended Services for Library Patrons with Disabilities. Mail, fax, or return the application form to:
Oakland Public Library
125 14th Street
OAkland, CA 94612
You may also fax the form to (510) 238-2232, or turn it in to any branch library, and staff will send it to the Main Library.
You will be registered for extended services within five days after your application has been received at the Main Library. The application process is kept confidential and the type of disability will NOT be placed in the library database. A code "ES" for Extended Services will be added to your record.
If you have questions about extended services or other services for persons with disabilities, call Jamie Turbak, Administrative Librarian for the Oakland Public Library, at 510-238-6610.
Extended Services Applications
Extended Services for Patrons with Disabilities include the following:
- Ability to apply for an Oakland Public Library card and for Extended Services by mail.
- Ability to authorize one or two individuals to check out your library materials for you.
- Automatic extension of circulation periods on all items which usually circulate for 3 weeks. ES patrons get six weeks on these items. Renewals are only for three weeks.
- Automatic extension of circulation periods on DVDs and videos, resulting in a 2-week checkout. Descriptive videos go out for six weeks to ES patrons and can be reserved and sent to any branch, and returned to any branch.
- 20 holds at a time, instead of 10.
- Answers to ready reference questions photocopies from a reference source and either faxed or mailed directly to your home. (Limit: one question and five photocopied pages per day.) If you call for this service, please tell the librarian that you are an ES patron. There is no charge.
- ES DVD loan period: 42 days.