At Oakland Public Library, we love bikes and the people who ride them, so we do our best to support bike riders all year long. Here are some of the things we offer:
Bike locks and tire pumps are available to use at almost all branches
- Eastmont has pump only
- Bike supplies at Temescal Branch are kept downstairs in the Oakland Tool Lending Library.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Branch hosts “The Shed,” a youth-led bike repair shop for the community where you can learn how to repair, tune-up, and decorate your bicycle in original scraper-bike style. Frequent hours in the summertime; call (510) 615-5728 for the current schedule.
Fix & Decorate Your Bike
- At 81st Avenue Branch happens weekly; come get free minor repairs and get back riding in style! Call (510) 615-5812 for the current schedule.
Bike Repair Stations
- Located outside 81st Avenue Branch and Temescal Branch/Tool Lending Library.
Bike Repair Toolkits
- available for checkout from the Tool Lending Library. Find more info here or call (510) 597-5089.
Urban Cycling 101 classes
- Taught by Bike East Bay are offered at various times and branches throughout the year. You can find the current class offerings at https://bikeeastbay.org/UC101#Day1
Women Bike Book Club
- In partnership with Bike East Bay, we co-host the Women Bike Book Club, bringing women, femme, trans, and gender nonconforming folks together to discuss biking, books, and feminism on the first Thursday of each month at 6:00pm at the Golden Gate Branch. For more information, call (510) 597-5023, email email@example.com, or check our Facebook group.
- Oakland Public Library has a fleet of Bike Libraries. These are nimble outreach vehicles – bike powered bookmobiles – which visit spots all over town bringing library cards, free books, demos and activities. Follow the bike library on Twitter @OPLBikeLibrary and contact Mana Tominaga at 510-238-6611 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in hosting one of the OPL Bike Libraries at your upcoming event!
Bike to Work Day
- Every May, Oakland Public Library also supports Bike to Work Day and hosts a ton of bike related events for our Annual Bike Month. Ask your local branch for more details when May comes around again.