Are you ready? The Affordable Care Act (ACA) went into effect on January 2014. Now, you can take advantage of the next round of open enrollment – it’s from November 15, 2014 to February 15, 2015!”
- California’s site: www.coveredca.com – information in English, Spanish, and eleven other languages.
- Alameda County’s site: http://achealthcare.org/
- Phone: You can call 1-885-857-0445 for more information.
- Federal information: https://healthcare.gov – information for individuals and small businesses.
This year, there’s optional dental coverage for adults!”
Other Useful Websites
- The California Department of Managed Care has a series of toolkits for families, seniors, people with pre-existing conditions, and small businesses at http://www.dmhc.ca.gov/aboutthedmhc/gen/ann/gen_ann_hcr.aspx.
- MedlinePlus, at http://medlineplus.gov, also has multilingual information.
- Consumer Reports Health Law Helper, at https://www.healthlawhelper.org/, shows you how the new laws affect you.
- Consumer Reports Asegura Tu Salud, at http://www.aseguratusalud.org/.
Employers will not have to worry about compliance with the provision, which is also commonly referred to as the “play or pay” provision, until 2015. See http://kff.org/infographic/employer-responsibility-under-the-affordable-care-act/ for details.
Need more help?
Contact the Reference Desk at the Oakland Public Library, Main Library, at 510-238-3138.
For advice on legal matters involving health access, call the Alameda County Legal Advice Line from Bay Area Legal Aid: Schedule: Mondays and Thursdays 9:30am-3:00pm; Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9:30am to 1:00pm, at (510) 250-5270.
Call the Alameda County Health Care Services Agency Health Insurance Technician Unit at 1-800-422-9495 to set up an enrollment appointment.