Labor Day and Admission Day holiday closures: All library locations will be closed on Monday, September 7 and Wednesday, September 9. The Main Library and the Brookfield and Eastmont branches will be open on Tuesday, September 8; all other locations will be closed that day.
Encore Search Tips
- Boolean search: Use Advanced Search for Encore Boolean search. Encore quick search is a keyword-only search. Parenthese, "AND", "OR", "NOT", and "NEAR" are not recognized as Boolean search operators. Instead, it sees them as search terms. For example, searching cats or dogs retrieves only records with all three words (cats, dogs, or) in it.
- Phrase search: To search something as a phrase in Encore, use quotation marks around the terms, "call of the wild", for example.
- Truncation/Wildcards: Use truncation or wildcards with the asterisk symbol (*). Ex: A search for enviro* pol* will display results on environment politics, environmental policy, etc. A search for young wom*n will display results for young women and young woman as keywords (in any order).
- Index search: To limit search to a specified index, start the query with the specified index's label followed by a colon (:). For example:
- t:moby dick (search the title index)
- a:didion joan (search the author index)
- s:friendship (Search the subject index)
- To exclude a term: use a minus before the term, e.g. -war
- Refine Results: Clicking on facets on the left side of the search result page, under Found In, Format, Language, Publish Date to refine search results. Facets can be unselected by clicking on the X next to the previously selected facet.
- Call numbers, such as ebook, eaudio, j picbk can be entered as part of keyword search terms to narrow your search results.