Ready, Set, Connect! Sign Up Now for Youth Job Training at the Oakland Public Library
Free Computer Help (Ready Set Connect!)The Oakland Public Library is partnering with Community Technology Network to offer the Ready, Set, Connect! (RSC!), a professional development program designed to help Oakland youth between 16 and 24 years old discover the professional skills necessary for technology-focused careers. Over eight months, Ready, Set, Connect! participants will learn how to use web design, social media, and graphic design tools, in addition to receiving professional etiquette training, internship opportunities, and mentoring from technology company employees. Ready, Set, Connect! participants will practice their dynamic skills while assisting the Oakland Public Library with program outreach and digital tutoring in their computer labs. The program begins in October and concludes in May, 2014. Interested youth should apply by September 16, 2013.
Youth who have a passion for technology and an interest in discovering careers in web design, graphic design, online marketing, and social media can earn a monthly stipend for their commitment and an additional bonus for completing the program. Upon completing the program, youth will have a website with a portfolio, resume, and LinkedIn profile.
Ready, Set, Connect! applicants must:
- be enthusiastic and willing to learn;
- be 16–24 years old;
- dedicate up to four hours per week to train and gain work experience;
- be available twice a week between 4 pm and 8 pm from October 2013 through May 2014;
- know how to use a computer and surf the Internet.
Youth are especially encouraged to apply if they:
- speak Spanish, Chinese, or Russian;
- have a passion for technology and entrepreneurship;
- are looking for service learning credit.
For more information, contact Kerri Shannon at 510-479-0931 or RSC@ctnbayarea.org.