Help develop and prioritize the job criteria for the next Library Director. Please visit this link to access the survey and provide your input by the close of business on June 22, 2018. Your thoughts and responses will help develop and prioritize the job criteria for our next Library Director, as well as assist in identifying appropriate candidates as the search is being conducted.
Possible upcoming library closure due to strike
Dear Library Patrons and Volunteers:
The City and the unions continue to meet at the negotiating table and we hope to avoid a strike. This letter is to notify you that the labor unions that represent our library staff have voted to authorize a strike. Based on information available to the City, we anticipate that a strike could occur on or after July 1, 2013.
In the event a strike occurs, during the strike, City libraries will be closed and not open to the public. This means that all (1) services provided in City libraries including, but not limited to, collections, computers, reading rooms, meeting rooms or reference services, will not be available and (2) all programs, including the Free Summer Lunch Program, will be cancelled. If you rely on the summer free lunch program we urge you to take personal actions to make alternate arrangements.
We deeply regret any hardship this may cause for you and your family. We thank you for your understanding and patience. We will do our best to keep you informed and provide additional information as it becomes available. If you have any questions, you can call 510-238-6608.
Oakland Public Library
For more information
The following are options for gaining additional information on the status of citywide services:
- Check our web site for regular updates: www.oaklandnet.com
- Call (510) 444-CITY for information and/or recorded updates.
- Follow us on Twitter - for general City of Oakland news, follow @CityofOaklandCA. For public safety news, follow OPD @oaklandpoliceca.
- To receive alerts by email or wireless device, subscribe to our email/text updates system by entering your email address in the "Email Updates" section on the City's home page, www.oaklandnet.com. To receive wireless alerts via mobile phone, be sure to check the "Send Wireless Alerts to this address" box and enter your mobile number and carrier.
- Sign up to receive public safety notifications from OPD through text/SMS, mobile applications, e-mail, and internet posts. Visit www.Nixle.com to register.
- Visit www.511.org or call 511 for up-to-date traffic and transit information.