All library locations will be closed on Thursday, November 23rd and Friday, November 24th, for Thanksgiving.
Tool Lending Library Rules & Regulations
Only residents or property owners of the cities of Oakland, Piedmont and Emeryville over the age of 18 years are eligible to borrow tools from the Tool Lending Library (TLL). No more than eight (8) items may be borrowed at any one time (no more than three power tools).
Borrowers must register with the TLL prior to borrowing tools. Registration will be complete upon verification of the borrower's address or property ownership..
Verification of address
Verification is accomplished by presenting the following:
Valid Oakland Public Library Card, current photo identification, and one of the following:
- Current lease/rental agreement (with patron's name listed as tenant)
- Current utility bill (with the patron's name listed)
- Current tax bill (in patron's name) identifying ownership of property in Oakland, Piedmont, or Emeryville
If residence in Oakland, Piedmont, or Emeryville cannot be verified any other way, the patron must come to the library and fill out a self-addressed Tool Lending Library postcard. Upon receipt of the postcard by mail, the borrower will present the postcard to TLL staff as verification of address.
Patrons who rent mailboxes must provide proof of residency or property ownership in Oakland, Piedmont, or Emeryville before being granted privileges at the Tool Lending Library.
- All tools and equipment lent by the TLL are the property of the Oakland Public Library. Only the borrower is authorized to use the tools. The borrower shall not permit the use of said tools by any other person except by the written permission of the TLL.
- The borrower agrees that the Oakland Public Library is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed tools.
- The borrower agrees that if the borrowed tool becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, the borrower will immediately discontinue use of the tool and return it to the TLL.
- Before borrowing any tool or piece of equipment, the borrower shall sign a form or WAIVER AND INDEMNIFICATION to be provided by the library, which will be kept on file at the TLL. The borrower acknowledges that he or she is capable of using the tools in a safe and proper manner, and that instruction in the proper use of tools is available from the TLL staff.
- The loan period for most tools is seven days. The borrower agrees to return any borrowed item on or before the due date in the same condition, normal wear and tear excepted, as when it was borrowed. The borrower agrees to pay for the loss or damage to any tool on loan to him or her. The borrower further understands that fines of up to $20 per day will be levied for each item kept past the due date. Repeated failure to return tools on time may result in revocation of borrowing privileges. The library reserves the right to limit the number of tools borrowed and to alter the maximum loan period.
- If the borrower wishes to renew the loan of the tool, he or she may do so on the due date by contacting the Tool Lending Library or renewing online through My Account. If the tool is not needed back in stock, it may be borrowed for an additional loan period. The librarian reserves the right to refuse or limit renewals. Up to two consecutive renewals may be made, dependent upon the status of the item.
- If a tool is not immediately available for loan, the borrower may make a reserve request through TLL staff to have the tool when it becomes available. Reserve requests will be handled in the order received. If a tool is available, the borrower may phone the TLL and have the tool put on hold for one business day. If the borrower fails to come for the tool as agreed, the library may lend the tool to another borrower. Tools will not be reserved for a future date. Seasonal demands may affect reserve policies. The library reserves the right to alter or suspend any of the above reserve policies.
- When tools are not returned by the designated due date, a fine of up to $20 per day will incur. If the tools are not returned thirty days after the due date, the borrower will be billed and appropriate steps will be taken to retrieve them, including by collection agency and/or legal action. Click here to read fines and fees policies for the Tool Lending Library.
- The Tool Lending Library retains the right to refuse the loan of any item for failure to comply with any of the above rules and regulations, or for falsification of any information.