On Monday, May 27th, the library will be closed for the Memorial Day holiday. All branch locations will be closed on Tuesday, May 28th. The Main Library will be open on Tuesday, May 28th.
Children's Librarian's Picks
OPL Children's Librarians have prepared a number of lists of recommended books for different age groups and interests. You can browse them here.
Sites with Award Lists
- Newbery Medal: Awarded for the most distinguished American literature for children
- Caldecott Medal: Awarded for the most distinguished American picture books for chidlren.
- Coretta Scott King Award: Awarded for outstanding African American children's books.
- Pura Belpre Award: Awarded for outstanding Latino children's books.
More Sites with Great Reads
- Booklists of Children's Literature: Indiana librarians recommend many types of books: animal, family, funny, space, etc. Most lists describe the books.
- Guys Read: Jon Scieszka, author of The True Story of the Three Little Pigs and the Time Warp Trio books, lists his favorite books for guys.
- Good Books for Children: Berkeley Public Library suggests books for different grade levels, multicultural books, Harry Potter read-alikes, and more.
- Teen Lists: Berkeley Public Library recommends books including fantasy, romance, graphic novels, multicultural books, and war stories.
- Children's Booklists: San Francisco Public Library suggests scary stories, books with strong female characters, books for infants and toddlers, books like Harry Potter, multicultural books, and more.
- Alltogethernow: Hundreds of title and author book lists can be browsed by categories, including genres, themes, school subjects, read-alikes, read-alouds, awards, ethnic authors, and target audience. Compiled from library professionals' e-mail lists.
- CA Department of Education Recommended Literature: Over 2,500 annotated listings for K-12 readers in a database searchable by title, author, grade range, culture, genre, or keyword.
- Database of Award-Winning Children's Literature: Over 3,500 annotated records, searchable by genre, setting, format, historical period, or publication date, as well as the protagonist's age, ethnicity, or gender. Compiled and indexed by librarian Lisa Bartle.
- Nancy Keane's Booktalks: Enticing descriptions of K-12 books indexed by author, title, subject, and interest level. Created by a librarian.