Internet and phone service are currently down at Lakeview Branch. We apologize for the inconvenience.
New Village Press : Building Community with Books
The Temescal District's own non-profit publisher, New Village Press, will host a morning writer's workshop led by one of its authors, film showings, inluding the feature "A Lot in Common," a documentary on community gardens & the short films "Green Schoolyards," "The Barefoot Artist" (clip), & "By Heart: Spoon Jackson" followed by afternoon presentations by its authors and a general introduction to community building, the main mission of the press and its sponsoring organization, Architects / Designers / Planners for Social Responsibility (ADPSR).
Writing for Social Change Workshop and Introductions
- 10:00am-12:30pm: "Undoing Our Silences" - Free writers workshop conducted by author Louise Dunlap
- Featured Book: Undoing the Silence: Six Tools for Social Change Writing by Louise Dunlap
- 12:45pm-1:00pm: New Village intro film and welcome by Lynne Elizabeth, director of New Village Press
Revitalizing Community Spaces through Nature and Art
- 1:00pm-2:00pm: "A Lot in Common" - Feature film about creating community gardens and other shared spaces.
- 2:15pm-2:30pm: "Green Schoolyards" - Short film about transforming school grounds into ecological oases
- Featured Book: Asphalt to Ecosystems by Sharon Gamson Danks
- 2:35pm-3:00pm: "The Barefoot Artist" - Clip from feature film about the life of Lily Yeh and the Dandelion School
- Featured Book: Awakening Creativity by Lily Yeh
- 3:00pm-3:30pm: Guest Author: Arlene Goldbard
Two-Person Memoir: Telling a Prison Story
- 3:30pm-4:00pm: "By Heart-Spoon Jackson" - short film
Power of the Arts to Heal Conflict and Trauma
- 4:00pm-4:30pm: "Acting Together on the World Stage" - Clip from feature film about the Acting Together Project
Community Resiliency: Fresh Perspectives on Urban Public Space
- 4:30pm-5:00pm: Featured Books: Beyond Zuccotti Park and What We See: Advancing Observations of Jane Jacobs
- Additional Book: Service-Learning in Design and Planning