The African American Museum & Library at Oakland is now on Historypin! Check out hundreds of historical photographs from AAMLO's collections mapped and superimposed on Google street view. The photograph below shows Stephens Restaurant, an African American-owned restaurant established by William Stephens in 1924 at 112 14 St. and eventually moved to 200 E. 14th St. (now International Boulevard). The second photograph shows the same building in a 2018 Google street view image and its current tenant New King Restaurant.
The Historypin app allows researchers and history buffs to locate historical photographs and see how neighborhoods dramatically change over time. Selections from the African American Museum & Library's photograph collections include Slim Jenkins' bar and restaurant, 19th century cabinet card photographs, an African American masonic parade down San Pablo Avenue in the 1950s, and much much more!