Each spring during “kitten season,” thousands of newborn kittens join the millions of cats already in shelters across the country. That means your local shelter has tons of cute, cuddly newborns, in addition to all the mellow, older cats and everything in between. And the shelter staff are ready to help you adopt your very first cat — or to bring home a friend for another beloved cat!
TOP TEN CHECKLIST FOR ADOPTING A CAT:
- If you’re thinking about adopting a cat, consider taking home two.
- Find a cat whose personality meshes with yours.
- Pick out a veterinarian ahead of time and schedule a visit within the first few days following the adoption.
- Make sure everyone in the house is prepared to have a cat before s/he comes home.
- Budget for the short- and long-term costs of a cat..
- Stock up on supplies before the cat arrives.
- Cat-proof your home. A new cat will quickly teach you not to leave things lying